Position: Senior Systems Engineer
To lead the design and analysis efforts across Systems Engineering disciplines in order to define, optimize and develop infrastructure solutions. Responsible for operating software, systems design, development of specifications, software planning, and evaluation. This position is also responsible for ensuring data security, database backup, and recovery as well as eliminating data redundancy and ensuring system efficiency and integrity. Incumbent must be knowledgeable of data center technologies for on-prem and cloud, virtualization, disaster recovery, data communications, network planning and analysis, database concepts and structures, interactive web page design, desktop systems, vendor evaluations, interfacing and/or modifying communication or database software, and standard practices in Information & Technology Services. This is a multi-incumbent position assigned to several City divisions. This position has no supervisory responsibilities within the Department of Information Technology but may function as a lead person on various projects. Within the Department of Aviation and Department of Water, the incumbent carries out supervisory responsibilities in accordance with the organization's policies and applicable laws. Must be available for call 24 hours a day, seven days a week.
Note: The current vacancy is in the Department of Information Technology.
Bachelor’s Degree in management information systems, computer science, geographic information systems, engineering or a related field AND 5 years of experience in one of the following: systems engineering, database administration or system analysis and design
Associate’s Degree in management information systems, computer science, engineering, or closely related field AND 7 years of experience in one of the following: systems engineering, database administration or system analysis and design
At time of appointment must have one of the following certifications or a closely related/comparable certifications:
1. Microsoft Certified Technology Specialist (MCTS)
2. Microsoft Certified Professional Developer (MCPD)
3. Microsoft Certified IT Professional (MCITP)
4. Microsoft Certified Master (MCM)
5. Microsoft Certified Architect (MCA)
6. Microsoft Certified IT Professional (MCITP) with service & enterprise administration
7. Microsoft Certified Solution Expert (MSCE) with a concentration in server infrastructure, desktop infrastructure, private cloud infrastructure, data platform, business intelligence, messaging communications, SharePoint
8. Microsoft Certified Solution Expert (MCSE) with a concentration in Microsoft Azure or Office 365
9. VMWare Certified Professional (VCP)
10. Red Hat Linux Certified Engineer (RHCE)
11. Oracle Certified Associate, Oracle Certified Professional, Oracle Certified Master
Must possess a valid driver’s license at time of appointment and maintain thereafter as a term and condition of continued employment.
Applications must specifically address each of the minimum qualifications, directly showing how each is met.
A background investigation and evidence of Employment Authorization and Identity is required prior to employment. All candidates must pass any level of background investigation applicable to the position, including current city employees seeking transfer, promotion, demotion, etc. into a classified position.
Medical Examination & Drug and Nicotine Testing
Final appointment is contingent upon the applicant passing a job-related medical examination including drug screen. Applicants offered employment with the City will be required to pass a nicotine screening. Newly hired employees must remain tobacco and nicotine free as a condition of continued employment. The Tobacco and Nicotine Free Hiring Policy does not apply to current City employees.
An Equal Employment Opportunity Employer